What would you prefer to find inside your home, a cricket that can chirp or one that is large and looks like it might hurt you? If you value your sleep, you might choose the latter. In all honesty, this is a loaded question. Noone likes finding crickets inside their homes regardless of their size or ability to produce annoying sounds. That said, the best way to prevent crickets is to get to know them a bit. To help with this, here is what you need to know about cave crickets, including why these pests regularly invade homes in Monmouth County.
What Are Cave Crickets?
Cave crickets, also known as camel crickets, are a large species of cricket that live in Monmouth County. Identify one of these insects by its ½ to 1 ½” long, light to dark brown body and the mottled dark bands that run across some of its segments. These pests are called camel crickets because of their humpbacked appearance, and cave crickets for the places they are found such as inside caves and in other dark/damp areas.
Where Cave Crickets Hide Around Properties
When not hiding inside caves, cave crickets look for dark damp areas to find shelter. Around properties, these pests hide underneath damp leaves, stones, and fallen timber. You may also find cave crickets hiding inside uncovered piles of wood, tarps, or in other secluded areas where moisture has collected.
Why Cave Crickets Invade Homes
There are many reasons cave crickets decide to invade homes. They often come inside to avoid bad conditions outside such as dry weather, heat waves, and storms. Cave crickets also invade to hunt for other insects if food sources outdoors become scarce or if their prey has gravitated into area dwellings. Sometimes cave crickets don’t come inside for a reason but instead, they just wander in by accident. Your goal should be to make sure these pests have no way or reason to invade your living areas.
How To Prevent Cave Crickets
Now that you understand why cave crickets invade homes in our area, let’s discuss the best strategies to keep these pests out of your home. To start, try these simple prevention tips around your property.
- Keep your landscaping and greenery on your property well maintained.
- Eliminate sources of water around your property. This includes pouring out water that collects in tarps, toys, and other containers.
- Make sure your home’s gutters are working properly and that they are channeling water away from your home’s exterior.
- Reduce clutter and eliminate organic debris around your property.
- Use a caulking gun to seal up gaps and cracks found in your home’s exterior foundation.
- Install door sweeps beneath doors that lead out of your home.
- Repair or replace window/door screens that are damaged or not seated properly.
- Keep your living areas tidy and as dry as possible.
- Fix leaky pipes and fixtures in and around your home.
A Guaranteed Solution To Cave Crickets
Most people do not have the time, energy, or patience to prevent crickets on their own. If you are looking for a simple, guaranteed solution to keep crickets and other invasive pests out of your home, look no further than Pride Pest Services. We make pest control easy so that our community can rest easy knowing their homes are protected. With a wide range of options and prices to fit your budget, Pride Pest Services has everything you need to find freedom from invasive species like cave crickets.
Call now to learn more or to schedule your Monmouth County home for a service visit.